By Naomi Gillespie
The oven is often occupied during the holiday season with all the warm, delicious meals. It’s a tradition. With the Santa’s Secret Cereal Bar recipe, you don’t need to reserve a space in the oven to make this dessert!
Santa’s Secret Cereal Bar is a crunchy yet smooth bar. It has a sweet and salty combination. You may need a glass of milk for this one!
1 cup light corn syrup
1 stick of unsalted butter
1 cup of all natural pure cane sugar
1 jar of creamy peanut butter (16 ounces)
1 family sized box of cornflakes cereal (18 ounces)
10.5 x 15 pan
1. Put large pot on medium heat. Add the unsalted butter and once it starts to melt, add the light corn syrup. Continuously stir as you add the ingredients.
2. Stir together until everything is melted completely and it starts to boil. The mixture should have a white and yellow color to it. Let the mixture boil for 2 minutes. The longer you let it boil the harder the consistency of the bar will be.
3. Turn off the heat and add the peanut butter. CAUTION: Be careful of the hot candy mixture because you could get badly burned.
4. As you add the peanut butter, keep stirring! Stir until all the ingredients are evenly mixed and it has a batter-like texture.
5. Add a 1/4 of the box of cornflakes at a time. Fold the cereal into the peanut butter mixture. Keep folding until all the cornflakes are evenly coated.
6. Pour the mixture into the pan. Slightly push mixture down into the pan so it’s all even.
7. You can let it cool for an hour until room temperature or cover it and put it in the fridge for 30 minutes.
8. Cut into squares and place them next to your Christmas tree for Santa! Cleaning Tip: Immediately soak your pot and spoon with warm water and soap so that anything left over will not harden